The Regulations require landlords to ensure that every fixed electrical installation is inspected and tested at least every five years by a qualified person.
- The landlord is required to obtain a report which gives the results of the inspection and test, supply that report to each tenant within 28 days and retain a copy until the next inspection is due.
- Upon request the report must be provided to the local housing authority within 7 days.
- The private landlord must supply a copy of the last report to any new tenant before occupation, or any prospective tenant within 28 days of a request from the prospective tenant.
- The Regulations require local housing authorities to enforce the rules and have the power to arrange remedial action.
- Proven breaches of the regulations can result in the local housing authority imposing a financial penalty of up to £30,000.
Due to these changes, no new tenancies are permitted to beyond 1st July 2020 without a valid and satisfactory Electrical Condition Report.
Here at Berryman's we ensure that all of our rental portfolio is up to date with all new legislation and compliant so if you require any advice or assistance please contact us.